This is a set of dependency modules for MSI Factory, and it can be used if you need to deploy SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition (32 or 64 bit) on your client's computer.
SQL Server 2008 R2 needs the .NET 3.5 Framework SP1, as well as Windows Installer 4.5. Some modules are already shipping with MSI Factory, however changes have been made to the installation scripts, so they work better in the installation procedure of SQL Server 2008 R2. All three installers can be run in passive mode, rebooting the computer when needed. For example, if no reboot was performed on a 32-bit platform after Windows Installer 4.5 was just successfully installed, the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 will fail with error codes like "2227047362". The new dependency modules for .NET 3.5 Framework SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5 make sure that the whole installation is performed as smooth as possible.
How to use
- Download the installer below and select the desired packages for installation.
The installer will detect if you have the required runtime modules for the dependencies you selected to deploy. If there are files missing on your system, these will be automatically selected for download.
- The SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition dependency module will need both the 32-bit and 64-bit runtimes (unless you modify the detection module). SQL Server 2008 R2 also needs Windows Installer 4.5 and the .NET 3.5 Framework SP1, so you must make sure that these are included before attempting to deploy SQL Server. Failing to do so will cause numeric error messages.
- It appears to be safer to deploy Windows Installer 4.5 is before the .NET 3.5 Framework SP1, however it is best if you perform your own tests.
- In the .NET 3.5 SP1 (Web Installer) dependency installation script, make sure that you set these variables as shown or make changes to your script, especially if you chose not replacing it with the new web installer:
- In the Windows Installer 4.5 dependency installation script, make sure that you set these variables as shown:
- In the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition dependency installation script, make sure that you set these variables:
The variable password should be set to reflect the desired sa password which SQL Server 2008 R2 will be using.
Feel free to modify the detection/installation scripts further, if you need or wish to. For example, you may want to change the module to deploy the "Database with Management Tools" or "Database with Advanced Services" packages, instead of the "Database Only" installer that is included here. You have to know how you would need to update the command line arguments passed to these installers, however - I cannot offer assistance on this matter. As usual, feedback and thanks is always appreciated - please use the comment box below.
You can find the dependency module for SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition for Setup Factory here.
Don't have MSI Factory?
If you want to purchase a license for MSI Factory 2, now is a good time! You can get 10% off the list price simply by clicking the banner below:
Do you find this useful?
Several hours of work were invested into software offered here free of charge. If my efforts make your tasks easier and saved you hours of research and coding, please consider making a small donation as a sign of appreciation of my work, especially if you are using this in a commercial product. Thank you in advance for your support!