The purpose of this plugin is to access folders controlled by the File System Redirector and to read and write registry keys that are subject to Registry Redirection, as found on 64-bit operating systems. The registry functions can also be used on 32-bit operating systems, as a direct replacement for the built-in actions.
Redirected keys are mapped to physical locations under Wow6432Node. For example, HKLM\Software is redirected to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node. However, the physical location of redirected keys should be considered reserved by the system. As the technical documentation alerts, applications should never access a key's physical location directly, because this location may change. Instead, you should always use the RegistryView parameter, which allows to set Wow64.KEY64 for operating on the 64-bit registry view, and Wow64.KEY32 for operating on the 32-bit registry view.
This plugin is very small and fast, and should be of considerable importance to developers who need to access 64-bit registry keys from a 32-bit application like Setup Factory, TrueUpdate, Visual Patch or AutoPlay Media Studio, or need to deploy a file bypassing the File System Redirector.
“This plugin is awesome and solves all problems (or almost all) of AMS8 on 64-bit systems.”
“This plugin should be included by default in AutoPlay Media Studio 8.”
The following actions are included:
- DisableFsRedirection: Disables file system redirection for the calling thread;
- RevertFsRedirection: Restores file system redirection for the calling thread;
- RegistryCreateKey: Creates a "key" in the user's Registry;
- RegistryDeleteKey: Deletes a single "key" from the user's Registry;
- RegistryDeleteTree: Deletes a "key" and all its sub keys from the user's Registry;
- RegistryDeleteValue: Deletes a "value" from the user's Registry;
- RegistryDisableReflectionKey: Disables Registry reflection for a single key;
- RegistryDoesKeyExist: Determines whether or not a particular Registry key exists;
- RegistryEnableReflectionKey: Restores Registry reflection on a single key;
- RegistryGetKeyNames: Returns a table containing the names of all of the sub keys for a particular key;
- RegistryGetValue: Returns a specific Registry value's data;
- RegistryGetValueNames: Returns a table containing all the values within a specific sub key;
- RegistryGetValueType: Returns a specific Registry value's type;
- RegistryQueryReflectionKey: Checks if Registry reflection is set for a key;
- RegistrySetValue: Sets the data of a specific Registry value.
This image shows a typical configuration dialog.
- AutoPlay Media Studio
- Setup Factory
- Visual Patch
Since version 22.214.171.124, this plugin can be loaded on Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003 with SP1 or anything more recent than these operating systems.
This plugin does not use any external scripts or executables. All actions performed by the plugin are mapped to the functions available in the operating system.
The full help file is available online. Please click here to see the current documentation in a new window.
Do you find this useful?
Several hours of work were invested into software offered on this site free of charge. If my efforts make your tasks easier and saved you hours of research and coding, please consider making a small donation as a sign of appreciation of my work, especially if you are using this in a commercial product. Thank you in advance for your support!
The source code for this plugin can be purchased by developers or companies, if they want to modify it or make sure that there is no issue in the code. If you are interested, please use the contact form.
Don't have Setup Factory?
If you want to purchase a license for Setup Factory 9, now is a good time! You can get 10% off the list price simply by clicking the banner below: